Cave Exploration Lofthellir
Feel free to contact us
Join the Lofthellir Ice Cave Tour from Akureyri and take part in an adventure! The tour starts with a scenic drive to Lake Mývatn enjoying a stop at the impressive Goðafoss, Waterfall of the Gods. From Lake Mývatn the tour takes you through the stunning landscape of the volcanic outback of Lake Myvatn to the mystical world of darkness and ice in the Lofthellir Ice Cave.
The main attraction of the cave is the greatest natural ice sculptures currently known in Iceland, formed by thousands of years of dripping water. The limit of visitors in each tour is 10 persons, this is both to limit visitors affect on the cave and also to give our clients a unique chance to visit Lofthellir Cave in a small group.
We drive to Lake Mývatn from Akureyri with a short photo stop at Goðafoss, The Waterfall of the Gods.
From Lake Mývatn we drive along a rugged track around the unique volcano Hverfjall, through the crater row of Lúdentsborgir where we stop and enjoy the view over the Lake Mývatn area. After about 45 minutes drive we arrive at he roots of Mt. Hvannfell. After 20-30 minutes walk across a lava field which is adorned by spectacular ropy lava, we reach the Lofthellir Ice Cave.
At least one hour is spent inside the cave, observing this unbelievable natural phenomenon. The temperature inside the cave is around 0°C so warm and preferably waterproof clothes are recommended. After walking back over the lava field we enjoy the scenic drive through the incredible geology of the landscape on our way back to Lake Mývatn. We make a short stop in the village of Reykjahlíð by Lake Mývatn before returning to Akureyri.
What is included
- Fully guided tour
- Cave exploration equipment; helmet, headlights and studded boots
What do I need to bring
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Good walking shoes
- Water bottle
Good to know
- This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition
- To reach the cave is a 30 minute hike across a relatively smooth lava field
- The short entry (approx. 1,5m) into the cave is narrow and guests need to crawl on all fours to enter
- There is ice and water on the floor of the cave and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour
- Meeting point: Free pick-up at Akureyri hotels, guesthouses, port & airport
- Departure time: 09:00 Please be ready at 08:45
- Godafoss Waterfall
- Lake Myvatn (Short Photo Stops)
- Ludentsborgir Crater Row
- Lava field hike
- Cave Lofthellir
- Natural Ice Sculptures
- Volcanic Outback by Lake Myvatn