Diving Silfra Day Tour
Feel free to contact us
Dive into the most unique body of water in the world with unparalleled visibility! Silfra is a crack in the earth ripped open by the movement of the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates. The crystal clear glacial water filling the Silfra fissure has been filtered over decades through underground lava rock and provides over 100 meters visibility. The underwater scenes in Silfra are found nowhere else on earth.
If you would like to ride to Silfra with us, your Silfra Diving Day Tour begins when we pick you up from your accommodation in Reykjavík. During the one-hour drive to Thingvellir National Park, your guide will introduce you to the unique geological and cultural history of Silfra and the surrounding Thingvellir area. If you have your own transportation to Silfra, you also have the option of meeting us directly at Thingvellir Park.
Upon arrival at the Silfra fissure, your guide will give you a detailed briefing of the dive site and will then assist you in setting up our dive equipment. We use only high quality BARE and Aqualung brand SCUBA equipment and APEX or Aqualung regulators.
All divers on this Silfra dive tour must have a dry suit dive certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date and must be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these 10 dry suit dives.
In case you do not fulfill these requirements you have the options of taking a PADI Dry Suit Diver Certification Course with the dive center of your choice before you come to Iceland or take our Dry Suit Diver Course & Diving Silfra 2-Day Package or simply Snorkel in Silfra instead of scuba diving.
Then it’s time to take the plunge and experience diving into Silfra’s pristine, crystal clear water. Filtered over decades by Iceland’s volcanic basaltic rock, you can easily take a sip during your dive; you won’t find purer drinking water.
During your dive you will explore the four main parts of Silfra. You will float through Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section, where you can have your ‘Dive Between the Continents’ photo taken. As the Silfra fissure widens you will find yourself in the majestic Silfra Hall with the possibility of local geese and ducks paddling overhead. Near to the opening to the lake Thingvallavatn we will enter the Silfra Cathedral; if there are divers ahead you will see the ‘chandelier effect’ of their rising bubbles. Your dive is finished in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon.
After this first dive, we will make our way back along a challenging but rewarding 250 meter path with our dive gear and then warm our hands and spirits with hot chocolate and cookies. Don’t hesitate to ask your dive guide if you need some assistance with your dive gear.
This tour includes two dives. Each dive will take about 30-40 minutes with a maximum depth of 18 meters. In the winter, however, if the outside temperature drops below 0°C, we conduct only one extended (40-45 minute) dive for the safety and comfort of our divers.
If you have friends or family who are not certified divers but would also like to experience Silfra, they would be very welcome to join the Snorkelling Silfra Day Tour.
What is included
- Free hotel pick up and return in Reykjavik
- 2 guided dives (if temperature drops below 0°C we do only 1 dive)
- All necessary equipment
- Hot choclate and cookies in the dive break
- Entrance fee of ISK 1.000,- into Silfra
What do I need to bring
- Your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- Proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
Good to know
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent
- have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date
- have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives.
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Diving Silfra Medical Statement
- be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
- be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
- be at minimum 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English or have a translator available at all times during the tour
- not be pregnant
Pick up in Reykjavík begins one hour EARLIER than the dive tour times shown in the booking calendar.