Tour name: Krafla Tour
Duration: 4 hours
Physical rating: Easy
Departure from Mývatn Activity -Hike&Bike– office in Reykjahlíð be there 15 minutes before your tour departure time
Pick up available
The Krafla area is one of the most interesting areas by Lake Mývatn. This is where the tectonic plates meet and is therefore a hotbed of seismic activity.
There you can see:
- Red, black, grey, blue and white lava.
- A beautiful geothermal area.
- A great variety of interesting rare geothermal phenomena
Access to the Krafla area is easy in the summertime but can be difficult and even dangerous in other seasons due to snow- and weather conditions. Never the less the Krafla area is seldom as beautiful as when snow has covered most of the ground and you see the pink hills, black, grey and red warm lava standing out of the snow.
If there is a lot of snow and conditions allow we will bring snowshoes and hiking poles for you so we can safely hike in the area. We will get you ready to have an enjoyable time with us in a wonderful setting.
- Transportation from departure location to Krafla and back again after tour.
- In winter snowshoes and hiking poles are included.
What to bring
- Hiking boots, warm clothes, food and drinks.
Please note that if you upgrade to Private tour the total price is 132.000.-ISK so only choose 1 person in the drop down menu and upgrade.