Lake Myvatn Classic
Feel free to contact us
The Lake Mývatn area is by many considered the most beautiful place in Iceland. This has been one of Iceland’s most popular tourist destinations for decades and for a good reason. An amazing journey through an area of extreme contrasts and nature’s diversity. Stunning bird life, flora, geothermal activity, geology and saga. The lake area has been a filming location for major Hollywood films and TV shows, such as Game of Thrones, Fast & Furious and Star Wars.
Pickup is from 8:45-9:00 am, when we start our tour to Lake Mývatn.
We drive east from Akureyri, cross Eyjafjörður fjord and enjoy the view of the town, the ocean and the mountains surrounding the fjord. After only a half hour drive we arrive at the picturesque Goðafoss Waterfall where we stop before we travel for another half hour to the Lake Mývatn area.
We explore the pseudo-craters of Skútustaðagígar where we enjoy the great panoramic view of the area. For the next hours we visit local nature highlights, such as Hverir Mud Pools, Mt. Námafjall, Dimmuborgir Lava Fields and Grjótagjá, the rift between the Eurasian & American Continents.
Before returning back to Akureyri we visit the Mývatn Nature Baths, located in the middle of lava fields where you can soak in a relaxing geothermal lagoon. The entry fee is not included in the tour price, but can be added upon booking the tour or paid on site. We stop for at least 1 hour at the Nature Baths.
What is included
- Fully Guided Tour
What do I need to bring
- Good walking shoes
- Bathing suit and towel (can be rented)
- Water bottle
- Warm clothing in winter time
Good to know
- Reservation is necessary
- During tour we break for refreshments at a local restaurant or café
- Due to weather or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or cancel the tour
- Meeting point: Free pick-up at Akureyri hotels, guesthouses, airport & port
- Departure time: 09:00. Please be ready at 08:45. Pickup time is 08:45-09:00
- Small Group Guarantee
- Godafoss Waterfall
- Skutustadagigar Pseudo Craters
- Dimmuborgir Lava Formations
- The Rift Between the Eurasian & American Continents
- Mt. Namafjall – Hverir mud pools
- Game of Thrones filming locations by Lake Myvatn
- Myvatn Nature Baths (Entry fee NOT included)