Snowmobile Tour - Into the Glacier
Feel free to contact us
Imagine yourself driving a snowmobile on Langjökull, Iceland’s second largest glacier and then entering inside to see the largest man-made ice tunnel in the world!
The snowmobile tour is an amazing first-hand experience of the power and beauty of Langjökull, Iceland’s second largest glacier. Get ready to drive yourself up to the ice tunnels located 1260 meters above sea level to enjoy the amazing view just below the clouds. An experienced guide will lead the tour and also teach the basics of operating a snowmobile. Anyone 16 years or older with a driver’s license can take part in this once in a lifetime adventure. Midway through the snowmobile ride our guides will take you into the icy world of Langjokull where you enjoy the amazing man-made tunnels leading to the heart of the glacier. After you have finished your journey inside you will be taken back to Húsafell for the end of your tour.
What is included
- Snowmobile ride on Langjokull glacier - Operated by Mountaineers
- Guided Ice tunnel tour for about one hour
- English speaking guide during the snowmobile ride and inside the ice tunnels
What do I need to bring
- Waterproof shoes and warm socks. Because cold toes just take away all the fun!
- Base and mid layer clothing
- Waterproof and warm coat
- Hat & gloves - easy to take off
- Sunglasses - sun on the glacier shines very bright when it shines...
- Camera - for those indescribable moments
Good to know
Please note that the meeting point for this tour is at Húsafell or Klaki base camp
During winter (16th of October to 31st of May) everyone departs from Húsafell. During summer (1st of June – 15th of October) you have the option of meeting us in Húsafell or Klaki base camp.
Departure times are 10:00 am or 12:30 pm from our reception in Húsafell center (located in the same area as Hotel Húsafell)
Húsafell – N64 41.950 W20 52.118
To operate a snowmobile, the driver must present a valid driver‘s license.
The minimum age for joining this tour as a passenger is 6 yrs.
***Please note that road 550 leading to Húsafell from Þingvellir National park is CLOSED from October until June and is recommended ONLY for 4×4 cars when open.***
***Please take road 1 towards Borgarnes and road 50 and 518 to Húsafell.***
- Drive yourself from Reykjavik (or another starting point) to Husafell or Klaki base camp
- During winter, always use road 1 towards Borgarnes and road 50 and 518 to Húsafell
- Shuttle departures are available from Husafell to Klaki base camp at 10:00, 12:30 and 15:00 (1st of June- 15th of October)
- Snowmobile self-drive from base camp to the Into the Glacier ice tunnel on Langjokull
- Experienced snowmobile guide
- Guided ice tunnel tour, approximately an hour
- Snowmobile self-drive back from ice caves to base camp
- Please note that the duration of the tour may be longer than scheduled, due to conditions on the glacier