The Grand Summit Tour
Feel free to contact us
In this tour we compile everything we stand for and mix it with the most amazing views to be found on the peninsula. This is The Grand Summit Tour and we gave it that name for good reason.
The tour starts by organizing and preparing gear at our offices (Meeting Point B). From there we drive our shuttle up to our snowcat that will take us up to Mid-Cornice (1380 meters). The Mid-Cornice is located just below the true summit and it’s the highest point any vehicle can go on the glacier. We will stop there for a while and you get a chance to go with a professional guide up to the true summit of 1446 meters. That requires some general fitness and takes about 25 minutes.
If you decide to go for the true summit, the guide will equip you with the tools needed for safe summit push, including helmet, crampons, harness and ice tools. If you don’t feel like going for the true summit, you stay on the Mid-Cornice where you will enjoy the great views and perhaps have a chat with the other guide that will stay with you there. If you feel cold, you can always get into our warm and cozy snowcat to relax. Up on the Mid-Cornice we will make and serve traditional Icelandic hot chocolate and Icelandic flatbread that’s kept us Icelanders alive throughout the last millennium. After spending this quality time above the clouds it’s time to head back. For most it’s a simple ride on the snowcat, unless you want to ski of course! We got all the ski gear you need to book as free extras on this tour.
The Grand Summit Tour is truly an adventure-packed half day tour to Snæfellsjökull summit… The best part? This tour is for anyone 12 years or older, regardless of fitness and interests. Just add extras like climbing the true summit or skiing down to make it more fun and challenging! Groups are limited to 12 participants giving this tour a 6:1 client to guide ratio for safe and personal service throughout the whole tour.
What is included
- Outerwear/shell (if you need)
- Mountaineering/hiking boots (if you need)
- Water, sports drinks and energy bars
- Hot chocolate and flatbread
- All skiing gear
- Ski boots
- All necessary glacier safety gear
- Ice tools o Helmet
What do I need to bring
- Warm clothes according to weather (also for purchase at our office)
- Food and/or snacks if you prefer your own
Good to know
- We offer this tour late winter and spring. You can find current availability right here on this page or contact us for further information.
- Important! Please include contact information (e-mail and/or phone number) in the booking process so we can contact you if we need to change or cancel the tour due to weather or other reasons. Be sure to check your e-mail regularly and/or have your phone turned on (at least the same morning). You can always contact us if you have any questions.
- Age limit: 12 Years
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Physical rating: Moderate
- Meeting point: Gufuskálar - Summit Adventure Guides