Volcanoes & Glaciers
Feel free to contact us
On our spectacular volcano sightseeing tour we overfly Þórsmörk Nature Reserve and land on Fimmvörðuháls's volcanic crater. We also fly above the infamous, and now dormant, Eyjafjallajökull Glacier Volcano whose eruption in 2010 became global news. From the top we head down its glacier tongue Gígjökull, that was split in half by hot melting lava. And if we're lucky we might even catch a glimpse of Iceland's most active volcano- Hekla, and the Westman Islands.
En route back to Reykjavik we follow the black lava sand beach that stretches hundreds of kilometers along the South Coast of Iceland. The black sand beach is a vast expanse of volcanic material laid bare by the endless tides of the ocean. With it's eerie beauty, the black sands are sought after by Hollywood film studies to provide the landscape for films like Oblivion, Prometheus, and other science fiction films.
As we continue back to Reykjavík we soar over lava fields, explore craters, and fly over the Hengill geothermal area to get a better idea of how power plants harness geothermal heat to provide clean, sustainable energy.
What is included
- Guided helicopter tour which has a total time of about 2-2,5 hours with a landing on Eyjafjallajökull glacier
What do I need to bring
- We recommend that you wear good shoes, warm jacket, a hat and gloves.
- It does cold not get cold inside the helicopter (similar to sitting in a car) but it can get cold and windy on Icelandic mountain tops.
Good to know
- After submitting the booking we will inform you about the exact starting time for the tour.
- We will ask for additional information. If you can kindly provide us your phone number, email and approx. weight on each passenger.
- Please note that this tour is weather dependent and if the weather forecast is not looking promising at the time of your booked tour we always try to A) Try to change the time on the same day (e.g. go in the afternoon instead of the morning). B) Offer you to go on a different date (e.g. they day before or the day after). C) If we are fully booked and can not offer options A and B we always give a full refund!
- The total duration of the tour is 2-2,5 hours. 80-120 minute guided helicopter flight and a 15 minute landing at a scenic location.
- Please note that during winter this tour is highly depending on weather and daylight. We are constantly monitoring the weather and we give updates in the hours before the tour. But don´t be discouraged! We operate all year long – the weather is an exciting part of the experience
- Þórsmörk Nature Reserve
- Fimmvörðuháls Craters
- Eyjafjallajökull Glacier Volcano
- Hekla Volcano
- Hengill Geothermal Area
- Westman Islands