Bonfire Reykjavik 2018
If you are staying in Reykjavik area here are the locations for the main bonfires on New Year's Eve:
- Ægisíða, small bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Skerjafjörður, by the street Skildinganes 48-52, small bonfire - 9 PM
- Suðurhlíðar, below the Fossvogur valley cemetery, small bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Laugardalur, below Laugarásvegur 18, small bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Geirsnef, big bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Suðurfell, small bonfire - 8:30 PM
- By Rauðavatn, big bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Gufunes, by the old recycling centre, big bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Kléberg in Kjalarnes, small bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Úlfarsfell, by Lambhagavegur, small bonfire - 3 PM
- Smárahvammsvöllur (Kópavogur) big bonfire - 8:30 PM
- Gulaþing (Kópavogur) big bonfire - 8:30 PM
NOTE: Fireworks are not allowed near the bonfires and the use of safety glasses are recommended.
Reykjavik Bonfire Map for 2018
Lighting a bonfire is a big thing in Iceland on New Year’s Eve, it’s been a tradition for many years and almost every town in Iceland light their own bonfire. The bonfires are open for everybody and children especially enjoy going there with their families. Sometimes the Santa Claus show up and the bonfires usually end with a big firework show.
Usually the bonfires begin around 8-8:30 PM. If you are interested in joining the locals and experiencing this Icelandic tradition find out where the nearest bonfire to you will be and gather around the fire. For the smaller towns around Iceland the location for the bonfires are usually announced in the local paper few days before, but you can always ask a local or at the hotel you are staying at.