Active Volcano Evening Tour
Feel free to contact us
The Fagradalsfjall volcano is located in the Geldingadalur valley, in the south of the Reykjanes Peninsula, and being so close to Reykjavík we can do this tour and enjoy the wonders of nature without spending too much time on the road. The eruption began on March 19, 2021, and it is still active, it is the newest volcano in Iceland.
The Reykjanes Peninsula is well known for its volcanic landscape and large lava fields. Beneath its surface there is a great volcanic and seismic activity due to the fact that the two tectonic plates, Eurasian and North American, lie just below and progressively separate from each other. Despite all this activity in the crust under the Reykjanes Peninsula, there had not been an eruption in the area for 800 years, until now.
We will start the tour with a scenic drive through fairytale lava fields covered in a thick layer of green moss stopping at the pretty Kleifarvatn Lake before walking into the Geldingadalur Valley to see live volcanic activity.
You can enjoy your dinner to go while watching the lava flow from the volcano. On the way back from this unique experience we will drive through the Reykjanes peninsula where previous volcanoes have now formed hard rock formations and soft lava moss.
Things to note:
- This tour requires hiking to and back from the Fagradalsfjall volcano. The hike difficulty level is medium and takes about 1.5h each way.
- Wear hiking shoes, waterproof jacket and warm clothes
- Bring water and snacks/dinner
- Bring a regular face mask to protect from ashes and dust in the air
What is included
- Experienced guide
- Wi-fi on board
- Hike to Fagradalsfjall Volcano
What do I need to bring
- Warm first layer of clothing and a waterproof second layer.
- Comfortable hiking shoes.
- Water & snacks/dinner
- Face mask is recommended to protect from ashes at the volcano.
- Hiking poles are recommended but not mandatory. This can also be rented from BusTravel Iceland
Good to know
- Difficulty of the hike is medium
- The duration of the tour is 5 hours.
- There is no food included on this tour so we recommend you bring a packed dinner
- This tour involves hiking to and back from Fagradalsfjall volcano
- Mossy covered lava fields
- Fagradalsfjall Volcano
- Hike in Geldingadalur Valley
- Reykjanes Peninsula
- Lake Kleifarvatn