Blue Ice Cave Adventure
On this tour, you will experience a unique natural ice cave in the wonders of Vatnajökull National Park where you can both walk on Vatnajökull Europe’s largest ice cap and also go inside the glacier. The tour is suitable for those who want to visit a more isolated ice cave and more difficult to access. This tour offers you great photo opportunities and an unforgettable experience. The level of this tour is hard
We visit one ice cave in this tour that we choose each day according to safety and weather. This cave is more difficult to access and therefore we offer it as a more quiet and personal tour for our participants, where we have only up to 8 persons in each group. The age limit is 16 years old
Our guides decide if it´s safe enough to do the tour according to weather and safety conditions. If we cancel the tour due to weather or safety conditions it is refundable.
The ice cave tour can take between 5 – 7 hours. The tour is guided by a specialist in glaciers and ice caves.
The meeting point is at Glacier Adventure Base Camp at Hali, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón. Driving to the location can take 25 – 30 minutes and the walk to the ice cave can take 45 – 90 minutes.
We spend approximately 1 hour in the cave. You should have in mind that the walking on this tour is always in the pure Icelandic nature, on gravel, rough terrain and sometimes on a glacier. Please note! We will not be the only group visiting the ice cave.
What is included
- Climbing helmet and a headlamp (sometim)
- Crampons to walk on the glacier (if needed)
- Walking harness (if needed)
- Ice axe (if needed)
- Light weight rubber boots to be able to cross a small stream to go in the ice cave (if
- Micro spikes to walk on slippery rocky terrain (if needed)
- Small 22 l bag that can be put on the back to carry the rubber boots (if needed)
What do I need to bring
- Good shoes, hiking boots if you have.
- Good clothing based on weather. 3 layers on top: base layer, light sweater like fleece and water or windproof top. Light warm pants and waterproof if needed.
- Gloves and thin hat.
- Backpack 28-40L.
- It is recommended that camera is brought along for the tour.
- Food for 6 hours tour.
Good to know
- Be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time.
- For this tour, the participants should be in good hiking condition. The hike is around 3 km one way to the cave. So in total, it is around 6 km during the trip. Part of it, around 2 km (4 km in total) can be on glaciated terrain were crampons and other glacier equipment is necessary. The other part is on a rocky and sometimes uneven terrain. The terrain might be totally or partly covered with snow or slippery ice where the microspikes we give you come in handy.
- Driving in Iceland in the winter time can take much longer than during the summer. We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a tour.
- Ice Cave tours are weather dependent. Sometimes Ice Cave tours get canceled with short notice due to safety or weather reasons. After a heavy rain previous days before the tour, the cave sometimes get´s full of water. It can also be too warm for us to enter the caves, the ice can be unstable and not safe to go under. If that happens, we usually have other options if the weather allows, Super Jeep and Glacier Explore, where we drive to the glacier edge and explore the glacier tongue with many amazing picture moments. If you don´t want to take the Jeep tour we can also give you a 100% refund.