It’s time to hook in and hold on!
The East Glacial river has a reputation of being one of the most exciting rivers in Europe. We guarantee you will have a great adventure with us! The East Glacial River is classed 4+.
The trip begins at our boathouse where our friendly and professional guides will provide you with all of the equipment and information needed for tackling our famous glacial rivers.
Once we are all changed we will then drive you to into the East valley to our rafting put in. Our trip leader will give a safety brief with all of the relative safety information needed to get the most out of your trip. We take to the river rafting 16 km through the East Glacial canyon.
We will tackle rapids such as Alarm Clock, Commitment, Screaming Lady and of course the famous Green Room. Depending on the water levels we will also stop for some cliff jumping for those that feel they need a little more excitement.
The bus will meet us at the take out where steaming bowls of hot soup are waiting. After a short 20 minute ride back to the base you can unwind in our hot tubs.
What is included
- Longjohn style wetsuit
- Neoprene river booties (shoes)
- Splash Jacket
- Personal floatation device (lifejacket)
What do I need to bring
- Towel (don't worry if you forget yours, we have plenty to borrow)
- Long sleeve thermal underwear or a thin fleece
- Our rafting takes place on glacial rivers where the water is cold all year around. Once you get cold it is very hard to get you warm again. By bringing the correct thermal clothing you reduce the possibilities of becoming cold. Please do not bring any cotton products with you to wear on the river. If you are too warm on the river we can think of many creative ways to cool you down, for example cliff jumping.
Other optional things to bring with you:
- Woollen socks or hiking socks (remember, no cotton socks)
- Sunblock (yes, you can get sunburn in Iceland)
- Small snack (for the bus ride)
Good to know
Age limit: 18+
We often get the question „why do not you use dry suits“ the answer is simple, we believe that wet suits are better because there can be sharp rock in the river and no one wants to have there suit filled with water, if a wet-suit is torn nothing happens, what is more the wet-suit gives better protection if you hit a rock with you leg or feet.
We always carry minimum of 2 VHF radios, a comprehensive first aid kit and most of all well trained, friendly and professional river rafting guides.
Our busnes all confirm to Icelandic transport regulations and all of our drivers hold commercial driving licenses.
At the start of your trip the trip leader will ask you to sign a liability release waiver. We will also ask you 2 important questions.
1. Can you swim?
2. Do you have any medical conditions we need to be aware of?
Please answer these questions honestly. We can still take non swimmers rafting for the West River but its nice to know so we can help you a little more. We can also give you a free lesson on the river if you wish.
Please advise us of any medical conditions that you may have no matter how trivial they are.
This is so that we are able to help you in a more efficient manner should you have any problems on the river. We are also able to take medication in a waterproof box should you need it during your trip. Bakkaflöt will not take pregnant ladies rafting due to the risk involved with adventure sports.