Glacier Kayak Adventure
This is the perfect tour for those who prefer to be away from the crowds and who want to be friendly with the environment and nature.
The kayak tour takes place in the Heinaberg lagoon, from where you will have impressive views of the Vatnajökull glacier, and it is the best way to enjoy the nature of the National Park, also the lagoon is "out of the beaten path", so there is no other traffic on the water
On the tour we will take a short introductory hike to the glacier, you will be safely equipped with the proper equipment for the glacier.
Our experienced kayak guides have great knowledge of the area, its history, hidden gems... and they will be happy to share it with you.
The glacier kayaking adventure is suited to both inexperienced paddlers and experienced paddlers.
You can choose between single person kayak or two person kayak, children age 14-16 always ride with adult person age 17+ in two person kayak.
In all of our kayak tours we use SIT ON TOP kayaks. The boats are much wider than SIT IN kayaks and therefore much more stable. Beginners and those who have never gone kayaking before should not have a problem joining our tours.
What is included
- Safety vest
- Kayak paddle
- Transportation and a 15 min drive from our base camp to Heinabergslón glacier lagoon
What do I need to bring
- Warm clothing to wear under the dry-suit that we provide.
- Warm socks.
- Sunglasses on sunny days.
Good to know
Difficulty level: Easy+
- All ages above 14 years old
- Someone in fair walking condition, able to walk for 2 hours with short breaks at a low pace of 2-3km/hr (1.2-1.8mi/hr)
- Trails generally in good condition, glacier travel on generally very low angle
- Very little elevation gain, max 250m (820ft) over a distance of 2km (1.2mi)
- Total duration of the tour: 3,5 h
Our base camp is located at a place called Flatey, located 38 km west of Höfn. At Flatey our guides will outfit all participants with the appropriate kayak equipment and provide additional gear. Flatey is one of Iceland´s largest dairy farm and visitors have the opportunity to take a peek inside the farm. At Flatey you can buy basic refreshments and get access to free Wifi.
GPS: 64.259151, -15.587038
We kindly ask you to be at the meeting point on time. We recommend arriving at least 15 min before the scheduled departure time. Late arrivals unfortunately will miss out on their reservation and it will result in the cancellation of your booking and a full forfeiture of your booking fee.