Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon
With its enormous and ancient icebergs breaking off from Vatnajökull glacier, this natural wonder of Iceland is a sight you absolutely cannot miss.
The lagoon produces a feeling of incredible tranquility as the 1000-1500 year old ice silently drifts into the lake and slowly melts away. The lagoon covers 18 square kilometres (7 square miles) and reaches more than 248 metres (814 ft) at its deepest point. You may recognize the lagoon from scenes in Batman Begins, Tomb Raider and two James Bond movies.
What you will see along the way (weather permitting):
- Volcanoes: Hekla, Eyjafjallajökull, Vestman Islands, Katla and Öræfajökull.
- Glaciers: Langjökull, Mýrdalsjökull, Vatnajökull and several glacier snouts.
- Waterfalls: Skógafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Systrafoss, Foss á Síðu and several others.
- Sandy plains: Skógasandur, Sólheimasandur, Mýrdalssandur, Skeiðarársandur and Breiðamerkursandur.
- Coastlines: In Vik, at jökulsá - the diamond beach and view towards south coast in several places.
- Fertile farmland and mossy lava fields.
Tour duration: 07:30 - 22:00.
What is included
- Bus fare
- Guided tour
What do I need to bring
- Rembember to bring warm clothing and rain gear.
Good to know
- Pick up is available at extra cost, from 1.450 ISK.
- Pick up is up to 30 minutes before departure
- Duration: 14 hours
- Lava Centre
- Glacier lagoon - with opportunity of a boat tour among the icebergs
- Diamond beach
- Vík í Mýrdal
- Plus additional comfort stops