Exclusive Ice Cave & Glacier Hike
Feel free to contact us
One of the most demanded activities in Iceland is being able to see and touch a blue ice cave, this incredible experience may only be done once in a lifetime, on this tour you can experience it and it will become the highlight of your trip.
This tour is an adventure, we will hike through more difficult terrain than on our shorter hikes, we may need ropes to ensure we can reach the incredibly blue ice cave / tunnel known as the Blue Fox Cave.
This tour is intended for people who are in good physical shape and who can comfortably walk approximately 10 km / 6 miles on uneven terrain.
Our meeting point is at Skaftafell Terminal Tour Center, where we will equip you with everything you need to walk on the ice. In our modified 4x4 we reach the edge of the Falljökull and Virkisjökull glaciers, during the journey you will enjoy spectacular views of the area.
We hike quickly over the Falljökull glacier and towards Virkisjökull, the glacier where we will spend the rest of the tour. Then we come to more difficult terrain full of high ridges and crevices.
Shortly after crossing the most difficult area, we will arrive at the Blue Fox Ice Cave / Tunnel. This beautiful blue ice cave was formed with meltwater during the hot summer months, but now the water has been drained, leaving it open for let us explore it. This cave is out of reach of the larger tour groups, there is very little chance that someone else will be there by the time we get to it.
We will spend approximately 30-45 minutes in and around the cave / tunnel, giving you the opportunity to take some amazing photos before heading back.
What is included
- 4×4 transport to and from the glacier.
- An English speaking, certified glacier guide.
- Glacier gear (crampons, harness, helmet and an ice axe)
What do I need to bring
- Hiking boots, preferably with ankle support (can be rented on location for 1.000 ISK)
- Warm, waterproof clothing (depending on weather).
- Sun glasses
- Lunch / snacks to eat on the way
Good to know
- Small group experience (max 6 persons)
- This tour is highly weather dependent, in case of cancelations due to weather, you will of course get a full refund.
- The minimum age for this ice cave tour is 16 years old