Midnight Sun Summit
Known as the gateway to the center of our Earth, the Snæfellsjökull Glacier is a mystical place, featured in folklore and novels, and has inspired artists throughout the centuries.
We begin this evening tour in the town of Arnarstapi, meeting in our Adventure cabin where we prepare the hiking and glacier equipment and review security.
We will take a little time to visit the Bardur Snæfells statue, where we will tell stories of the history and folklore of the area and get to know each other before starting our walk. After that we will drive a short distance to the start of the trail (a distance that depends on the snow cover on Snæfell Mountain) and from there we start our hike.
Then we will walk through a volcanic landscape, shaped by fire and ice until we reach the beginning of the glacier walk. Before stepping on the glacier, we will put on our glacier gear, along with crampons and a safety rope, go back through the ice safety and walk towards the ice.
We will hike, tied together, to the top of the glacier, enjoying incredible views and spectacular landscapes.
Upon reaching the top of the glacier, we will have some time to eat something and visit the incredible ice structures at the top, you will enjoy the incredible views over the entire Snæfellsness peninsula, the Westfjords and sometimes the city of Reykjavik.
We will take the most spectacular way back and after leaving the ice we can slide and sled through the last section until our transport back to Arnarstapi.
What is included
- All required glacier gear which includes Climbing harness, Crampons, Ice axe, Hiking sticks, Safety line.
- Guided in English
- Short drive to Snæfellsjökull trail start
What do I need to bring
- Sturdy hiking boots (can be rented at 1.500 ISK but please ask us when you book to ensure we have your size)
- Appropriate warm clothing, wet weather clothing
- Hat and gloves
- Food and water
Good to know
- Meeting time: 20:00
- Duration: 6 -7 Hours
- Meeting location: The Go West Cabin, Arnarstapi (directly opposite the Arnarstapi Centre Hotel)
- We work always as a team on the glacier and so if somebody cannot make it to the summit then we must all turn around. When signing up for this tour please ensure you are fit enough for a hike of up to 8 hours, sometimes on steeper terrain.