Northern Lights by Boat
You would like to head out on an adventure that will leave you feeling breathless, and we want to give you the opportunity to do just that. Seeing the Northern Lights is an incredible experience in itself, but doing it from the sea is something different and unforgettable. Sailing far off the coast of Reykjavík and seeing the auroras in the North Atlantic with the city lights in the background is something that can only be done once in a lifetime.
Our expert guide will help you search for the lights while telling you all about the science, legends, and myths surrounding this amazing natural phenomenon. There is a speaker system on board, so you can wait inside our cafeteria enjoying a hot drink or watching our own video of the Northern Lights. When the guide sees the lights, they will announce it on the speaker system so everyone knows to get out and look up.
Our friendly team takes photos of all tours that are available for download in the following days at no additional charge. They will also be happy to help with camera setup to give you the best chance of capturing the auroras.
We have a Special Tours Iceland App with 5 languages (English, German, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese) available for Android and Apple. It is available for all customers to download during their tour, with text and audio information. The app will be as close as possible to an audio-guided wildlife adventure.
What is included
- 2-3 hour Northern Lights by Boat tour
- Experienced guide on every departure
- Warm overalls (also available in children's sizes!)
- Heated indoor seating areas
- Free ticket to try again if nothing is seen on your tour!
- WC's, snack bar & WiFi on board
- Pictures taken on every tour, available to download free of charge
- Friendly crew can assist with photography and camera settings if needed
What do I need to bring
- We recommend wearing warm clothes & sturdy shoes.
- Don't forget your camera!
Good to know
- Food and drink are not included but can be purchased on board
- When the northern lights forecast looks good but it is too windy to sail, we will take our customers out for a northern lights tour on a bus - plus a chance to join our boat tour the next available day!
- If the tour is cancelled and you have not previously joined a tour, you can exchange your ticket for one of the following options:
- A Whale Watching tour
- Join our Northern Lights Backup Plan - Auroras at Whales of Iceland (plus the chance to keep reschedule your boat tour) - as our reception for more info!
- A full refund