Zipline in South Iceland
A zipline ride is a great adventure for all those who love the thrill of doing something challenging but at the same time very safe. The tour includes an easy hike through breathtaking river canyon and two zipline rides. The first one, which is the longer of the two, stretches 235 meters followed by a shorter line of 135 meters. The scenery below you, named Grafargil is incredibly beautiful and you will have the birds-eye view of it as you whiz down the zipline.
Our Zipline is situated right next to the village in Vík, on Iceland's South Coast, surrounded by beautiful hills and river-canyons. It is not directly accessible by vehicle so after we meet at Norður-Vík Hostel and get your dressed up in safety gear and brief your shortly we drive for 5 minutes where the hike begins.
We have around 15-minute easy hike to reach the take-off platform for the first zip, named The Gentle Giant. We will give you detailed safety instructions and make sure you are comfortable with what to do during the ride so you will enjoy it to the fullest and stay safe. Once you’re ready then you wait your turn and next thing you know, you are zipping above this breath-taking river-canyon, heart pumping with excitement and having the best birds-eye view of the area that you can imagine.
Next, we have another hike through amazing rock formation of Grafargil (Grave Canyon) packed with caves and other natural gems to our next zipline, named Little Russ. On our way there we'll have to cross the river in a little bit creative way so we named it Leap of Faith. Little Rush will take you over a stunning waterfall and crossing of two canyons. Last but not least we have a short hike back to base if the weather permits.
What is included
- Harness and security equipment
- A safety helmet
What do I need to bring
- Closed shoes, preferably hiking boots as there will be hiking involved to get to the start point
- Warm clothes, it is colder in the air than on the ground
- A thin hat to fit under your helmet
Good to know
- The average duration of the ride for the 300 m zipline is 50 seconds and for hte 170 m zipline 30 seconds.
- Allow 1 hour for the whole tour incl. driving to where the hiking starts, hiking, safety instructions and checks, etc.
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Meeting point: Nordur-Vik Hostel, Suðurvíkurvegur 5, Vík í Mýrdal, South Iceland. Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your booking time.
- Safety: We take safety very seriously. Our zip-line equipment has been installed and safety-tested by Van Riswick BVBA and is certified according to the strictest EU standards. A full refund will be offered for any cancellations due to weather conditions or any other safety considerations. A Zip-line ride is always at your own risk.
- Weather: Sometimes we need to change departure times slightly due to the weather. Please check your email before your booked time and leave us a phone number so we can call or text you in case we have to contact you with changes in schedule.