Weather in June
The summer is finally here! June is the first of three summer months in Iceland along with July and August. The summer in Iceland is beautiful, the lush is in full bloom and there is so much to do as we have daylight 24/7.
The average temperature in June is 9°C (48°F) but it can go as high as 15°C (59°F) or more. It can of course rain in June (as in every other month in Iceland), but it varies how much it rains in June, the average precipitation is 50mm.
The bird and whale season in Iceland is during the summer and it is the perfect time to spot the famous Puffin, whales, seals and other wildlife of Iceland.
Driving in Iceland in June
The summer months June to August are the best months to rent a car in Iceland and go on a Road trip around the country. The weather is warmer during these months so there is no snow or ice on the roads so it is easier to get around. But as you might have heard before the weather in Iceland is very unpredictable so you need to be prepared for all kinds of weather including heavy rain or storms, even though it is summer.
It is important to always check road and weather conditions before heading out on the road and we recommend renting a 4WD car if you are travelling to more remote areas or the highland. Remember that off-road driving is strictly forbidden and the fine for speeding can be very high.
During the summer months most roads are open, including the mountain roads that usually open in mid June or July. Take advantage of the 24/7 daylight and go on a road trip around the country or visit the Westfjords for example.
If you are not comfortable driving multiple bus tours and private tours are available during the summer in Iceland.
If you decide to drive in Iceland here you will find useful tips and more extensive information.
What to wear
The summer months June - August are the warmest in Iceland, we have daylight 24/7 and the sun is shining. But those beautiful summer nights can be cold and it can rain a lot during the summer, so you still need to bring warm clothes and rain gear with you but also pack shorts and T-shirt.
The average temperature during the summer in Iceland is around 10°C (50°F) but it can go as high as 20-25°C (68-77°F) and as low as 6-9°C (43-48°F). The weather is still very unpredictable during the summer and we can have the sun shining one minute but raining the next minute.
So it’s important to bring layers of clothes that you can strip of as you need it. Sweater, rain gear and hiking boots are essentials during the summer in Iceland.
- Hiking boots - If you are planning on only staying in Reykjavík then sneakers might be enough but if you will be travelling around the country and staying outside you need good hiking shoes that will keep you warm.
- Base layer - warm layers under the clothes might be the best thing you bring to Iceland. Usually just a regular underwear and T-shirt are fine during the summer but if you get cold easily it doesn’t hurt to bring long wool or thermal underwear, you can also buy it in any outdoor clothing store in Iceland.
- Fleece or wool - The Icelandic wool sweater or fleece is a must. The Icelandic wool sweater can be bought all over the country in local stores.
- Water and windproof jacket - Water and windproof jacket over the wool/fleece sweater is essential for the rainy days.
- Water and windproof pants - It is windy in Iceland and it rains so bring the pants.
- Hats, gloves and warm socks
- Swimsuit - You are going to want to dip in our warm swimming pools or hot springs after a long day outside.
Average temperature: 9°C/48°F
Average sunshine: 161 hours
Average precipitation: 50 mm