Askja is in the middle of the Icelandic highlands and it takes about 3-4 hours to get there. Our journey begins and ends in Reykjahlíð village in the Mývatn lake area. The departure time is at 8 am and we are back around 7 or 8 pm.
On the way to Askja, we stop a couple of times to take a closer look at the incredible scenery and geological wonders such as lava fields, glacial rivers, freshwater rivers, natural springs, and magnificent mountains. During these breaks, passengers also have time to sit for a while inside a cabin or outside on the grass and eat something, but there are no cafes or restaurants along the way. When the bus arrives at the parking lot in Askja around 12 am or 1 pm, our passengers have between 2 and 2.5 hours of free time. There is an approximate 35 minute walk from the parking lot to Lake Askja and the Víti crater, where you can swim if conditions are good. After a short stop in Drekagil, 8 km from Askja, we return directly to the village of Reykjahlíð.
We take you to Askja in our 4x4 bus. You sit high up, plenty of room for your feet and your belongings. We have good drivers so you can relax and listen to the guide as he tells you about the area we pass through.
This tour offers scenes from unforgettable Icelandic nature and geology. In the highlands you will see lunar landscape, glacial rivers, the deepest lake in Iceland, sand, lava, mountains, crater and much more. You will return home with unforgettable memories of scenery and knowledge. In Víti you can take a bath in nature in the middle of Iceland, 1100 m above sea level.
What is included
- Guided tour in 4x4 bus
What do I need to bring
- Warm clothes and good shoes, since the weather in the highlands is unpredictable and can change suddenly.
- Food for the day. There are no supermarkets or restaurants on the way.
- Towels and swimsuit so you can take a bath in the crater Víti if the conditions are good.
Good to know
- The weather in Iceland can change fast so it is best to have more clothes then less because you can leave it in the bus while you hike to the Askja lake.
- In beginning of summer in the highlands there can still be snow. You may have to walk in snow from the parking place to the lake Askja.
- One way is 2,4 km long but flat with small hill in the beginning. It takes around 35 minutes to walk in good condition. It can be challenging in the snow.
- Meeting point: Meeting point is at our home in Arnarnes, road nr. 848. 2 km south of Reykjahlíð village – Arnarnes, Mývatn
- Duration: 12 hours